Monday, February 25, 2019

Plugged-In and Platform Posted!

https://sites.google.com/view/dougcavett4vtgovernor--e-portf/home

www.gofundme.com/dougcavett4vtgovernor

Thanks for checking in with our Vision for Criminal Justice Reform this week. Currently, we are spending $175 per day for a fellow CCV student and campaign manager to sit it jail day after day because VTDOC hasn't made approving his residence (his freedom) a priority! If he's not out by Thursday, he could be dismissed from class, costing taxpayers even more money in loss of revenue and grant funds. Why??  This exemplifies why this was the most exciting week as far as making exponential progress in getting our message (and Platform) out through the ePortfolio application of digital media (See Link Above). I have found this site extremely easy to use, in order to cover a lot of information through on-site pages, and also using links to other sources of information. I am considering discontinuing our website just because of the simplicity that this site provides for adding new information as time goes forward.

I really enjoyed incorporating photos that I had picked out previously from our assignment to create our campaign's logo (the banner). I don't feel that they fall into the realm of "slide junk" because they all represent the marketing of our State as well as "Our 2020-Vision Campaign." I also gave the credit that was due for the photos as well as that for myself in creating the site for "Our 2020-Vision Campaign." (An interesting copyright conundrum) They also worked very well to make the pitch for registering to vote and/or making a contribution for the things that Vermonters feel most passionate about. As this is a work in progress, I was happy to be able to make "buttons" for the first time, and I hope to use these to give the reader more areas to explore. I am being conscious to be consistent in the ease of navigating this site. I still have other options to explore including finding fonts and color schemes.

Apps are totally new to me! I am just starting to figure it all out, but it seems like you just have to open them up like Webware, but I found that some do cost a nominal fee, and they do appear to get downloaded on my iPhone. I like the concept of Webware, like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn where everybody can use them simultaneously with no need to install or un-install. I don't see Apps taking over this type of Webware, although I do use Spotify and the Nike Run Club Apps and they are quite sophisticated considering how little input I provide for them. Freeware, on the other hand, is more of a marketing gimmick I suppose, and marketing gimmicks always get replaced. I downloaded a Chemistry-Molecular Structure program because they just didn't have these available while I was teaching Organic Chemistry, and I thought it would help me review for some Environmental Science debates in the upcoming future. I found this on the CNET blog; both CNET sites had lots of examples to choose from.

What I would like to see is some Apps for following government spending. If it did anything at all, it would make them accountable for what they are spending, and where, at the time that the money is being taken out of the coffers.  Former Governor Peter Shumlin, and his administration, still use the ballpark figure of "at least $200 Million" lost on looking at Single-Payer Health Care, and can't  or won't give Vermonters any clearer picture of that spending, yet he was elected twice on this unfulfilled promise.

If people knew how arrogantly The Department of Corrections wastefully throws away hundred dollar bills as fast as they can, in order to increase their budget for the following year, maybe real reform and real economic growth would result. Does anybody know a software engineer that wants a project to work on?? In my opinion, Freeware would not suit this purpose, Webware would probably do, but lower product demand would make it more of an App project. What do you think??



Please remember to Vote, it will take two minutes to register online with the link listed above.

Most Gratefully, 
Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment